Kaiser Permanente Molecular Technologist II - Grade 845 in San Jose, California
Under the direct technical lead of the Senior Molecular Genetics Technologist (CLIA General Supervisor) and the administrative supervision of the Genetics Lab Administrative Director, the Molecular Technologist II shall perform routine molecular laboratory procedures and techniques used for the preparation, processing, and analysis of nucleic acid samples as authorized by the Laboratory Directors (Director and Technical Supervisor). All high-complexity testing and tasks shall be performed in accordance with established departmental and quality control procedures and laboratory approved protocols.
Essential Responsibilities: - Performs high-complexity tests as authorized by the technical supervisors. - Prepare human samples for analysis using genomic nucleic acid preparation techniques. - Perform Restriction Enzyme digestion techniques and labeling techniques on nucleic acid samples. - Perform PCR (polymerase chain reaction), reverse transcription PCR, and Real time PCR techniques on nucleic acid samples. - Perform electrophoresis, blotting, and hybridization on nucleic acid samples. - Use Fragment Analysis by Capillary Electrophoresis. - Perform Sequencing Techniques (eg. Sanger sequencing, NGS, etc.). - Use various documentation methods and capture digital images. - Analyze results and data produced from the nucleic acid procedures (as above). - Be proficient in using various software analysis programs and databases (eg. HGMD, Mutation Surveyor, etc.). - Be proficient in computer software platforms (eg.-Microsoft Office, LIS, etc.). - Develop, draft, and assist in creating and updating protocols. - Maintain complete and accurate documentation and records. - Perform quality control and quality assurance documentation in accordance with lab protocols and regulations. - Test newly developed lab procedures and techniques, as directed and report on results. - Perform case review prior to final report. - Train other staff as assigned. - Perform other related duties as qualified, trained and assigned. - Position requires interaction with the Cytogenetics laboratory staff on a regular basis regarding specimens, cultures and other related matters. Molecular technology is at the forefront of scientific and technological development and change. Laboratory tests, techniques and procedures will require periodic change. Therefore duties and responsibilities will be subject to change. Supervisory Responsibilities:
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: Basic Qualifications: Experience - Minimum two (2) years of experience in a clinical or research molecular biology laboratory performing clinical molecular diagnostic testing procedures and techniques OR must have successfully completed a CA State Clinical Genetics Molecular Biologist training program. Education
Bachelor's Degree in biological or clinical laboratory science or a field related to genetics from an US-accredited college or university or equivalent. License, Certification, Registration
CA State Clinical Genetics Molecular Biologist Scientist (CGMB) license or CA State Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license or pending receipt of license if out-of-state candidate.
- A CA State Clinical Genetics Molecular Biologist training program.
- Internal KP Molecular Technologist Trainee and Molecular Technologist I who completed the training program and became licensed will be eligible for career advancement upon meeting Molecular Technologist II qualifications.
- Must have CA State CGMB or CA State CLS license by date of hire.
- Must have the demonstrated ability to perform clinical molecular diagnostic testing procedures and techniques as defined by the Employer.
- Must be able to analyze results and data produced from the testing and perform case review prior to final report.
- Ability to read and comprehend protocols, instructions, correspondence, and memos, and to communicate as the job requires.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Current certification preferred as Technologist in Molecular Biology by the ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology or equivalent certifying body approved by the state).
COMPANY Kaiser PermanenteTITLE Molecular Technologist II - Grade 845LOCATION San Jose, CAREQNUMBER 622994
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.